My Favourite Films of 2015

15:23


Regardless of the fact that I haven't touched this blog in almost two months, I felt that I couldn't end 2015 without doing a quick post on my favourite films of the year. Thankfully, I had a fairly wide selection to choose from, with the majority of films released this year, with the exception of the god-awful Sicario and Legend, being really, really great. 

My absolute favourite film of the year, which has also made its way into all-time favourites, is Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. Starring Thomas Mann and an amazing Olivia Cooke, the coming of age comedy-drama is absolutely gorgeous. Between the beautiful story, unique characters and really great cinematography, I have decided that this is the type of film I want to make in the future. It manages to be completely different without running the risk of being painfully quirky and it held my attention right up until the end. I honestly don't think I could recommend this film more, I just loved it that much.

My second favourite film of the year is Dope. I watched this on a whim only a few weeks ago, and even though I knew I would like it, I didn't think I would quite so much. Once again, great characters and a unique story are the driving force behind Dope, and they're backed up by the absolutely top soundtrack (which I proceeded to immediately listen to upon finishing the film), and the sunny LA backdrop that it is set in. 

My final big favourite is Mad Max: Fury Road. Anything that is jokingly described as "feminist propaganda" is always going to go down well with me and due to this fact, I now regard Fury Road as one of my happy films. THERE'S SO MUCH WOMEN. I honestly feel like I can't stress this enough. Disregarding the fact that if Hollywood upped their game, this wouldn't have to be a big deal to me (that's another blog post), Fury Road is extremely feminist, regardless if that was its original intention or not. Charlize Theron is great. Rosie Huntington Whitley is great. Everyone is great, and they're made even better because all the male and female characters are equally cool and awesome and just generally badass. I legit watched the entire film with a smile on my face. I have witnesses. Gender equality aside, the film itself is just mental and a really enjoyable and entertaining watch.

So they're my absolute favourite films from 2015, which to be fair, was a generally good year for films in my opinion. Notable mentions include The Lobster and Ex-Machina, which are two incredibly strange and different films which really flip storytelling on its head. I finish this post with a simple thank you to everyone that has read my posts this year, you're all fab, thanks huns xo.



You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Ex-machina had to be one of my favourite movies of the year hands down, so good, domhnall gleeson has had one of the best years acting wise and still has the revenant to come out :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images