Films I Watched (10/5/15 - 16/5/15)

16:30


I realise that it's been quite some time since I last posted, college and work got the better of me. With luck, I'll actually stick to the plan of blogging about all the films I watch now that I'm on summer holidays. I literally have nothing better to do so I've been taking a stab at my extremely extensive "films to watch" list. 

True Romance
1993. Dir. Tony Scott

I actually adored True Romance! So much so that I'm considering it one of my top favourite films. The script is so obviously written by Quentin Tarantino, and contains many of the tropes he regularly evokes in his own films, but Tony Scott's direction adds a particularly dream-like quality to the film that I love. I think it really compliments the violence and Tarantino's writing. It was a really beautifully shot, bright film with memorable dialogue and characters - I particularly liked the character of Alabama. The soundtrack is great as well, with the main score slowly becoming one of my favourites alongside the score for American Beauty.

*****



Fight Club
1999. Dir. David Fincher

Finally, after months of promising myself that I would watch it, I finally watched Fight Club. I really enjoyed it, so much so that I'm truly questioning why it had divided critics so much at the time. It's different, yes, but highly enjoyable to watch, so much so that I didn't grow bored whilst watching it or wish for a shorter running time, which is a common occurrence for me. Once again the soundtrack is unreal, it really added to the grungy industrial vibe that the film already had. I also thought both Edward Norton and Brad Pitt's performances were great. There's some amazing shots in the film, and I thought that it's anti-consumerist message was very interesting. Unfortunately, the twist was spoilt for me ages ago, but that didn't stop me from appreciating the excellent way in which it was revealed. 

****



Kill Bill Vol.1
2003. Dir. Quentin Tarantino

I'm slowly working my way through Tarantino's filmography, and finally started watching Kill Bill. I thought that Vol.1 was really great, and I'm really looking forward to watching Vol.2. The fight scenes are amazingly choreographed, with there being some excellent shots scattered here and there and a truly brilliant soundtrack. The soundtrack in particular just worked so well with the entire film on whole that I am in awe of it. I'm truly jealous of Tarantino's ability to create unique, memorable characters that you continue to remember long after the film is finished. I really liked his OTT approach, it made what really is a violent and gritty film, into something slightly more lighthearted, at least in my opinion.

*****


Lucy
2014. Dir. Luc Besson

Slightly disappointed by Lucy. It was a film that had intrigued me for awhile and I was sad that I never got the chance to see it in the cinema. The idea surrounding the myth of using more that 10% of your brain interested me, but unfortunately it wasn't executed very well in the film. The entire story seemed rushed and slightly silly, with the science being more ridiculous than even slightly feasible. Running at just over an hour and twenty-three minutes, I feel as if a slightly longer running time would have given Besson a greater chance at fleshing out the characters. As it stands, none of them, even the titular character of Lucy, are particularly well developed. All and all, the film is quite forgettable. It's not terrible, but it's not amazing either, it's really just "meh".

**









You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images