Review: Birdman

19:34


2014 ~ Dir. Alejando Gonzalez Inarritu

Okay, never mind the fact that Birdman has been out for quite some time now, and writing a review of it is pretty pointless because the world and its mother has gone to see it, I'm poor and have had barely anytime lately, so here's a quick review!

Long story short, I thought it was great! However it really wasn't what I expected. To be honest I'm unsure as to what I was expecting, but that wasn't it. Birdman was still rather awesome though with witty dialogue, a great cast and awesome cinematography.

The drum score is most definitely worth a mention. I thought that it truly gave the film a unique edge and kept up the pace of story. It's a continuous presence throughout really conveyed the main character's alternating mental states, with the drum beats complementing moments of anger and confrontation.

One complaint was that the story seemed to take awhile to truly take off, if it ever actually did. The ending seemed to come out of nowhere with me being more confused than resolved. To be honest I'm assuming that boils down to it's indie background. If this film was lacking the famous actors, it would be true film festival stuff. I still enjoyed the script, the dialogue between the characters was pretty funny depending on your humour (I loved it!) and they all seemed to work well off of each other, and even though I felt slightly confused on its ending, I appreciate the ambiguity of the story and it's uniqueness, I've never seen a film like it.

The fact that the film was made to appear as if it was filmed in one continuous shot was both amazing and disorientating. I thought it was brilliantly done and it makes me want to film my current short film in one continuous shot (I would if I could to be honest), but my poor glasses-less eyes found the constant following of actors quite disorientating (that's obviously more my fault than the directors however).

All and all, I quite enjoyed it! Birdman was really nothing like any film that I've ever seen before and I reckon that it's truly deserving of its Oscar nomination!

****


What did you think of Birdman? Worth the hype? Let me know in the comments!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images